Friday, October 9, 2009

Day: 6

So I went to Seattle and ate a pork chop....  well, no, there was more to the day.

Spent most the day in Olympic NP. I started on the west side of it. Went up into the rain forest parts of them. Very nice. But not much to show, really it's just stuff you need to see in person, as photos don't work well on it. Worked my way around to the main entrance. Wonderful road up to an outlook closer to the middle of the park. You have a near 360 view of the park, plus can see out into Canada (Vancouver Island).


Looking into Olympia NP.


There was a lot of deer around. Though these are the tamest things ever. Could walk right up to them. Still, was nice standing in a meadow on top of a mile high mountain and there are deer hanging out.


Dinner with a view

From there I hurried on to Seattle. The plan was to be on a ferry going into Seattle during sunset, that didn't work, got there a bit late.  Sunsets just haven't been working out for me this trip.  Still, got to Bremerton WA, and lined up for the ferry.  This is something I've always wanted too do. Drive onto a ferry, sail through someplace, and then get off.  Finally got to do it here.  Takes about an hour to get to Seattle. It's such a smooth operation. The trip was impressive. I never expected it to be so fast. It's a 8000HP Diesel-Electric Ship (Hybrid without batteries), the ship can do almost 20MPH.  I was very impressed by the speed. It was a 40 year old boat, it moans, shakes and just sound bad. But it was great. It moves, and your car is inside it. If this had been a plane, I'd be terrified, but it's a boat, so it's great. Big machine moving around, not in the sky, is a good thing.

I have to say, the best way to come into a city you have never been to the first time is by ship.  I purposefully took a longer route to be able to see more.  So this route you are going through islands, and come around a bend and there it is, Seattle. What a site to come into like that. You get a great view of the city, no dealing with traffic and trying to do everything but be able to view the city as you get closer, no hidden views from trains, no wondering where you are and if you are going to die like coming in by plane.  Ship docks, get in truck, drive on out and you are right down town.  Of course, then you learn at a very bad time that Seattle has street layout done by a mad man, and it's on hills.  I'm sure it's fine once you know it, but it's a big shock if you don't.  Stuck to the basic plan, find a hotel fast so your parked and done with that.  Did that soon enough.  Went for a walk.  Had dinner above the original Seattle's Best Coffee shop, then wondered around (such as down the street to the first Starbucks). But didn't do much else. So far only productive thing I have done here is eat a porkchop.  Tomorrow I will do some more touring around. Then it's north, to the North Cascades NP, and then on to Canada. 1 week down, over 2000 miles traveled, and now nearing time to go east from the northwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment