Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day: 3.2

Ok, well, distance wasn't very far today.  I left Astoria for the 2 hour drive to Portland.  Along the way I passed something I had seen on TV, but never in person.  Tree Farms.  Now, not the Christmas Tree/Chanukah Bush/Kwanzaa Shrub/Atheist Evergreen type we normally think of, and not replants from the massive clear cuttings they do (see shows like Axe Men on history channel). But real agricultural style fields of trees, by the looks of things some form of Poplar tree.  They plant them like corn, and in a few years cut them back down. They grow very fast so they can make this work.  Still, pretty odd site.

As posted earlier today, I made it to Portland, but had to quickly leave for a bit.  I drove out I-84, the Columbia River Gorge, which is often claimed to be one of the most beautiful drives in the country.  Honestly, I wasn't that impressed, it's nice, but nothing shocking.  Again, the coastal area of Oregon amazes me in how shockingly similar looking to Pennsylvania.  Mountains are about the same (aside from those ones that blow up from time to time), similar forest, similar rivers, just all around very similar. And now I'm in Portland which makes many references to 3 rivers,  what other city talks of the 3 rivers.... Oh yeah, Pittsburg, which looks similar to Portland. Still the Gorge is nice. I drove it out to John Day Dam.  By that point you are back in the arid region of the state again. So it looks more like Nevada than it does a lush jungle like the coast.  A very striking change in a few miles.  Really more dramatic than that which you get driving from Santa Cruz, CA to say Pleasanton, CA.


Looking back at Mt. Hood at Sunset from John Day Dam


It really looks like a drive along Route 6 through Northern PA, or along the Susquehanna River down near Harrisburg.  But, there is one big Party Piece along the way,  a waterfall, and it's definitely trumps anything in Delaware Watergap.  It's probably the most famous thing in greater Portland .  Multnomah Falls.


Multnomah Falls

Of course everyone and their dog have taken the same shot. But now I have too, check that box.  Very nice, and much taller in person than I thought it would be.  You can walk up to the bridge too, not much better of a view. But when you go there, your backside can now be part of a precious memory in complete strangers vacation photos.

After I reached the farthest Dam (passed at least 3) I turned around back for Portland.  Drove around downtown and pulled into the first Hotel I could find. I wanted to explore downtown, and thus wanted to stay down town. Place is over priced. I have to pay extra for internet so I'm doing it from the lobby. Also had to put truck in a parking garage across street (so that will cost more), so that's lame.  But the plus side I'm in Portland. A city I have wanted to come to for very long time.  Truly a beautiful city. If you think San Fran is a nice city (which for that one needs to get their head checked) this place will amaze. It's a real city, lots of high rises, intermixed town of schools, shops, businesses so it's alive into the night.  It's absolutely spotless. Unlike San Fran which is covered in trash, and smells, has the steam vents, and is covered in bums, this place is spot less. Very bright and modern.  The rail stops look like something out of the future, the structures glow, and even have flat panel TVs outdoors giving you real time train info. Everything is just so well put together and set up.  Feels very European.  Great River Park with views of...the river, and the bridges, skyline.  I did my usual "get to know the city walk" for 2-3 hours.  Criss-Crossed most the downtown.  It's a shallow hill, so walking is easy, but not boring.  Got to use some of the bike-walk pathways that cut all around town that Portland is famous for (you really don't need a car here, and why would you want to drive when you could walk/bike/light rail. Of course I walked around the Portland State University area.  I should have worn a PSU shirt. It's fun to see PSU all over here, got to love non-unique acronyms.

Shame I only get an evening here, and maybe some morning. This is a very nice city, bit crazy to drive around, but nice.  And who ever the urban planner was who decided to put a Volcano on the outside of town, hats off to you. It works so well there.  Maybe it's the constant threat of Volcanic Annihilation that just adds to the charm of the city. Or they keep it clean so when something bad happens, no one is embarrassed when the rescue crews come.

Looks like my "plan" is to get to Mt. Rainier tomorrow, and stop by St. Helens along the way. Hope the weather holds for me. So far it has been good. I've hopped over into Washington State a twice now, but tomorrow I will be in it for good. Haven't gone through Washington before, so it gives me new opportunities to grumble about stuff that bugs me.  So far the super slow speed limits and non-ability to fill up my tank with gas by myself (have to let the Petroleum Transfer Technicians do it, just like Jersey) have been what drives me nutty in OR.

I'm 3 days into this, and have yet to get any closer to Michigan than when I started.  Not that it matters, my stuff isn't even scheduled to make it to Michigan till the same day I do, because they have to wait for others in my company moving to, and pack them on the same truck.  So if I had gone straight to Michigan I'd be without my stuff for 2 weeks.  The moving truck guy was planning his own trip to Oregon while waiting for the others too.

Darn, almost got this one posted before midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment